NonGuix Installation Writeup

So last night I hopped to (Non)Guix on my PC, which took me 4 hours total and had plenty of pitfalls.
I made a lengthy writeup with lots of links to other posts that helped me through the process on my blog.
Link: 💻 (Non)Guix - The Uninstallable

Hope this helps someone

4 Likes

More Guix content, nice :+1: Looks like we had basically the same experience installing NonGuix :wink:
The manual modification to add the non free parts is really something… and we all had to do it. Not sure if maybe someone has tried to work on an easier way to install it though.

Btw, on your website the button to go to the homepage was not always there or very small :slight_smile:

Pretty much all of it already covered in nonguix readme and guix manual. But many people refuce to simply follow instruction, they want to recklesy dive into things. I know it by myself :wink:

Two more things:
• you can check substitutes aviability through guix weather command
• consider adding nonguix substitutes to your config.scm, so no need to add it manualy with --substitute-urls= everytime

Update regarding the “no space left on device”, it appears I overlooked to run herd start cow-store /mnt.

As for the docs, I’m sure they are great once you’re settled in and need to check something for reference, but due to policy they do not include nongnu instructions in mainline guix docs.
The nonguix readme is good, certainly sufficient for someone who knows how to install standard guix already, but incomplete for a new user.

The friendly community is very helpful :smiley:

1 Like