Guile Hoot 0.3.0 has been released!

The good folks over at the Spritely Institute have just announced the release of Guile Hoot 0.3.0:

We’re getting closer to having a more natural Scheme environment that compiles to WebAssembly, exciting improvements in this release!

I may take a closer look at this for part of Friday’s stream.

9 Likes

Very exciting! I look forward to being able to forego any JavaScript and just write everything in Scheme :slight_smile:

Not that I particularly dislike JavaScript, I just want everything to be Lisp.

2 Likes

There will be some shims needed to connect Scheme to JS when writing Hoot apps, but over time I think a lot of that can just be provided as JS libraries so you don’t have to write them!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping for. I had a very quick look when 0.2.0 was released and was a little disappointed to find that I had to manually copy a few files around to make things work. It sounds like (unless I’m misinterpreting) reflect.js doesn’t need to be copied manually anymore now?

I should have another look. Even having to copy some files around isn’t a huge deal of course because once it’s done it’s done :slight_smile:

That was also my interpretation but I’m not entirely sure! I may try it out on stream today to find out.

1 Like

That would be great to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there!

I’ve tried to clone the Hoot demo repository and run the guix shell manifest command as per their readme, but I’m left with an error as follows:

guile-hoot-ffi-demo$ guix shell -m manifest.scm 
hint: Consider passing the `--check' option once to make sure your shell does not clobber environment variables.

/home/davd33/Code/guile-hoot-ffi-demo/manifest.scm:15:37: error: guile-hoot: unbound variable
hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?

Has someone succeded in running their demos locally?

Thanks!

Have you run guix pull recently? The guile-hoot package is fairly new so it might not be in the Guix repo commit you currently have.

1 Like

I had not, however it’s still throwing the same error.
I installed guix on ubuntu 23.10.
Is there something else to do after guix pull?

Works pretty well for me on guix system. Here’s my guix describe -f channels output:

(list (channel
        (name 'guix)
        (url "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git")
        (branch "master")
        (commit
          "b25b94335a3ee8d68d2145da8e5ea0325ecea451")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "BBB0 2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA")))))

I’ll also try it on top of debian a bit later.
And I also suggest you to do a guix pull. You can find the relevant instructions here.

1 Like

I did a guix pull, did not get rid of this error, but it seems that guix describe shows a different output than yours :

guix describe
Generation 1    Feb 26 2024 10:27:30    (current)
  guix b25b943
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: b25b94335a3ee8d68d2145da8e5ea0325ecea451

May be that’s the problem? I’m missing the 'non-guix repo?
Would you know how to add it?

No, no, no. You don’t need nonguix for this. And your guix describe output is the same as mine. Just do it like this: guix describe -f channels and it will look the same. I should’ve just written the full command. :smile: I’ve edited my last comment to make it less confusing

Have you added a new GUIX_PROFILE after guix pull as it suggested here?

Unfortunately, I still don’t have access to my debian machine.

The guile-hoot package is in the core guix channel so you don’t need nonguix. As long as you have a reasonably up-to-date Guix you should be all set. Run guix show guile-hoot to confirm that it’s there.

1 Like

Late response here but reflect.js is still something you need to copy over for now. In the future, Hoot will generate a JS file specific to the program you are compiling.

Good to know! By the way, 0.4.0 soon? Time for another live stream :slight_smile:

Current milestone target is April 9th. Shouldn’t move much if at all. v0.4.0 · Milestones · spritely / Guile Hoot · GitLab

1 Like

Thank you for the answers.

I’m not sure what I did aside the guix pull but it worked!
I’m able to see the examples now.

2 Likes

BTW, Spritely also runs a Discourse forum that we recently made public where you can ask questions about Hoot (and anything else related to Spritely)! https://community.spritely.institute/

4 Likes