Using the ActivityPub plugin for the forum.systemcrafters.net Discourse instance

I was wondering if this Discourse instance has installed the ActivityPub Plugin? It would be cool to have a bit of interaction between these forums and Mastodon, Lemmy, and so on.

If not, I guess we could use this thread to discuss the question of weather the ActivityPub plugin should be installed.

4 Likes

Interesting! That might be a cool way to be notified about new topics. I can see the benefits of setting that up, but is it possible that there’s a downside? If random people from the Fediverse comment on the Discourse cross-post, do those show up on the forum?

1 Like

Hmm, the plugin description says

replies to the post on Discourse are not published, and replies to the “Note” on other ActivityPub services are not imported into Discourse

So it’s a way to publish Discourse posts to the Fediverse but not to receive feedback, it seems.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good then!

1 Like

Does that mean that there is the chance that a topic will have a discussion both here and on the fediverse that are unconnected?

2 Likes

Yep, that is likely, but hopefully people will realize they should follow the link!

2 Likes

Well, if people who are not members of this forum would like to comment, they may on Mastodon. Hopefully people who recognize the forum they would prefer to follow the link and post replies here.

1 Like

Just sent an email to the Discourse folks to see if they will enable this plugin for us!

1 Like