Hello,
I don’t like Emacs at all, and I prefer an editor like Helix.
Do you think we could use daily Guix and develop guile scripts without Emacs ?
Thank you very much
Hello,
I don’t like Emacs at all, and I prefer an editor like Helix.
Do you think we could use daily Guix and develop guile scripts without Emacs ?
Thank you very much
Preface: I can’t really speak for Helix specifically.
From my little time with guix (although I use it regularly as a package manager), I doubt you’ll have too many troubles using guix without Emacs.
The main thing you will loose is the available packages for integrating the editor with guix (unless there is equivalent packages/plugins available for Helix).
Namely, this will be interactive REPL-based development with direct feedback, so you may have to run scripts manually or manually paste between a REPL and the editor.
That is (however) true for any Lisp-based language in editors without support for REPL-based development (not unique to guix, just wanted to point it out).
There are some other (minor) things (e.g. there is a way to pull Emacs packages from guix and install guix packages interactively from Emacs).
If you’re already developing some sort of Scheme/Lisp in Helix, I don’t think there is anything specifically to stop you from using guix.
You do not have to use Emacs for Guix at all.
If you want to write Guile scripts other editors like Helix might not have as much support. Still possible to do ofc
guix half of the packages are for emacs… stil u can use the other half ![]()
Guess i’m now also necro’ing this topic, but yes you can use Guix just fine without using Emacs. I was also using Helix when i first decided to play around with Guix, however, i did end up making the switch to Emacs pretty soon after. The main reason was that Emacs just seemed nicer to use specifically when dealing with lisp languages, and it has much better syntax highlighting for it. Then with the emacs-guix package on top of that you get even better highlighting specifically for Guix code. Geiser is also very nice to have. In the end you can use any editor, but i didn’t really like how Helix handled lisp, and on top of that since they still don’t have a stable plugin system, you can’t really easily install plugins for better highlighting, or to get something equivalent to rainbow delimiters for example. The one thing i do still really like from Helix is their way of modal editing. I now use helix-mode so that i can still use the same editing style inside of Emacs. The only downside is it’s not as extensive as evil-mode, where there’s add-ons for various modes and stuff like org and paredit. I still haven’t really grasped paredit though so i don’t really use it, and i created some of my own keybinds for helix-mode’s normal mode that are specific to things like dired or magit. Helix-mode does make it very easy to add your own keybinds for specific major modes, so that’s great. Also, in insert mode, all the regular vanilla Emacs bindings will still work, so you can still use that as a fallback.