From a new convert

Hi all. I’m a recently retired CS teacher and a lifelong learner. So just getting into linux, emacs, org-mode, etc. Loving it! And especially enjoying the SC videos. Just wanted to say hi. btw, I just wrote a blog post on my learning adventures with emacs etc, which you can read here if you’d like.

One technical question – I’m looking for a good screenrecorder for doing YT videos on linux. What does David use?

Glad to make your acquaintance!

5 Likes

Hi Bob, glad to see you here! I use OBS Studio to stream and record videos:

Hey thanks! I love your videos and wondered if that was OBS you were using. I was looking for something a little (or a lot) simpler, but I will buckle down and learn it if necessary. Problem is I have a very simple option over on Windows (ScreenPal), so might just go with that.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and keep being awesome.
Bob

1 Like

You might want to checkout SimpleScreenRecorder as a simple alternative to OBS, if you need no webcam support. Also the Gnome Desktop comes with a simple screenshot/recorder utility.

1 Like

Welcome!

If you’re not opposed to using a terminal, and if you really want simple, I can recommend this little script of mine, as it can’t get much simpler than that: GitHub - alphapapa/bashcaster: An actually simple screen recorder for Linux

1 Like

Thanks! Actually I do need webcam support, though.

1 Like

I don’t mind using a terminal, and congrats on writing that script. But I don’t see that it has webcam support.

No, it doesn’t do an overlay with a web cam. I suppose that might be possible with ffmpeg, but I haven’t tried.

Welcome @CrouchingPython!
I think OBS is actually easy/simple but it can also be very complex if you want it to be.
I do believe it’s a good solution even for simple workflows. It grows with your needs. Looking forward to the videos you make, please share here!

Oh, here you are! Welcome!

From a new convert

Just a note:

1 Like