TurboPrint in Guix

Hi! I’m running Guix for a few weeks now, and all in all I enjoy it. One challenge that has been greater then expected is my photo printer, a Canon PRO-100S. I use the turboprint driver since it supports the printer very well, and I have special papers and paper profiles made for them. Turboprint is basically the only viable option for high quality and color accurate printing on GNU/Linux.

But it’s proprietary software distributed as .deb and/or .rpm. They also have a .tgz that is ment for other distros. However, Guix does not follow the FHS standard, nor does it directly use a supported init daemon.

I’ve tried working with a virtual machine and distrobox without success (all sorts of errors). Now I’m trying to use Guix shell instead, and it seems I’m very very close to a solution. I’ve installed the driver into ~/.local/usr/bin by modifing the system.cfg file in the turboprint .tgz, and running the following command launches the turboprint monitor:

guix shell
  --container \
  --network \
  --emulate-fhs \
  --expose=/dev/bus/usb \
  --expose=/run/dbus \
  --expose=$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/$WAYLAND_DISPLAY \
  --preserve='^WAYLAND_DISPLAY$' \
  --preserve='^XDG_RUNTIME_DIR$' \
  --preserve='^QT_QPA_PLATFORM$' \
  --share=$HOME/.local/etc/turboprint=/etc/turboprint \
  coreutils tar gzip gtk+@2 bash patchelf cups qtbase@5   qtwayland@5 gcc-toolchain   libxcb xcb-util xcb-util-wm xcb-util-image xcb-util-keysyms   xcb-util-renderutil \
  -- bash -c '
    export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
    mkdir -p ~/.local/etc/turboprint
    ~/.local/usr/bin/turboprint
  '

However, when I try to add the printer, it fails:

Does anyone have a clue what I could do as a next step?

Anyone else interested in getting turboprint running on Guix?